Friday, February 27, 2009

The Other Side of the Table

I've had a thought several times, but for some reason or another I just haven't put it out there yet, but basically it goes like this:

There are a lot of seriously unqualified people out there affecting people's lives.

Exhibit A: I was recently at the University of Illinois doing first-round interviews of students for our recruiting process.

Read into that what you will. The point is, I'm looking across the table at these kids, and I'm thinking, "I'm just a kid. What am I doing?" And I'm betting they're thinking, "Seriously? This guy's just a kid." I don't know. Maybe I don't look like a kid anymore, but although I'm almost out of my upper middle twenties, I don't know that I'll ever see my self as a real adult.

It was weird being on the other side of the table for a change. And you know what was the worst? I was nervous. Not as nervous as when I interviewed for jobs, but I still had a few butterflies in the basket, yet I was supposed to be "in charge." Why was I nervous to grill some kids on why they should come work for us? Who knows...?

Exhibit B: Congress.

Take a little trip through the bios of our Senators and Representatives if you've got time. Most of them have zero experience in the real world outside of politics. Sure they were smart enough to get into a great school, get a law degree or whatever, but why does that coupled with getting elected a few times all of the sudden give you the necessary experience to make decisions that affect the entire country and parts of the world? Seriously, just begin to peruse the bios of the people running this country and think about whether you'd hire these folks to manage a car wash for you, let alone decide how to confiscate and then spend billions upon billions of dollars.

Exhibit C: High School Coaches

I made several decisions and formulated several thoughts and ideas in high school based on information gathered from my high school coaches. Now, I'm not lumping every coach into this category. I know a lot of good ones who may even wind up being great ones. Coaches that I would have no problem teaching my future-as-of-yet-non-existent children things. Take my friend Zach for example. Great guy, I'm sure a great coach and one who really imparts valuable things to kids.

But many of my coaches didn't even want to be coaches. As I look back with "more grown-up" eyes. I can see that their intersection with my life was just a pit stop on the way to figuring out who they were. But there they were, teaching me how to block and tackle and hit like they were experts. There they were, giving advice on life and lessons on how to live as a young man as though they had perfected it. There they were, putting me and many others I'm sure in the wrong position because that was easier than taking the time to figure out where a young kid might be most successful down the road.

All of these examples, me included, are instances where one person or a group of people make important decisions and perform important tasks that affect other people's lives. I just don't believe people take that responsibility seriously enough. And I certainly don't believe that just because a person is in a position of authority that means they are qualified for said position of authority.

Growing up is weird. It changes my perspective. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

3 comments:

Tracey said...

I think this perspective will make you more aware that "everything you do (or don't do) matters. When we take the attitude that someone is always being affected by our actions, I think it tends to make us much more accountable. Even if it's some random person we'll never see again.

Jeff Shaw said...

Only people who want to do their best and be the best think like this.

You're not a kid anymore.

our lady of perpetual stuff and nonsense said...

GOOD GOOD GOOD post, homefry. i agree entirely. thanks for sharing.

love,
rachel